Nurgle is the Father of Plagues and the Great Corruptor. He is the embodiment of decay and disease – feeding gleefully on the despair of mortals as his infinite viruses, infections and contagions spread across the galaxy. His gaze is naturally drawn to those bloated with sickness and he blesses those champions who spread disease in his name generously. His power waxes and wanes to colossal heights, then falling with each pandemic that grips the numberless worlds of the Universe.
- Sacred Number: Like all Chaos Gods, Nurgle has a sacred number: a number that is reoccurring throughout his realm and in the grotesque rituals their mortal worshippers’ conduct in their names. For Nurgle, this number is seven.
- The Great Game: Nurgle is locked in an eternity-long war with his brother Tzeentch, whose scheming and plots to further the ambitions and hopes of mortals are diametrically opposed to the despair and stagnation that fuel Nurgle’s power.
- Grandfather Nurgle: Of all the Chaos Gods, Nurgle is the only one who can be said to truly care for his followers as he takes true great joy and pride in the achievements of his followers. This strangely paternal side to the god, alongside his surprisingly jovial demeanour, has led to him often being referred to as Papa Nurgle or Grandfather Nurgle.
- Disgustingly Resilient: His daemonic legions, and those mortal champions favoured by Nurgle, are inured to pain and destruction. They are able to shrug off all but the most devastating blows.
- The Horus Heresy and the corruption of the Death Guard. 005.M31 — 014.M31
- The Warmaster of the Imperium, Horus Lupercal, turns his back on the Emperor of Mankind and falls to the claws of Chaos. Eight of his brother Primarchs and their Space Marine legions joing him in this galaxy-spanning civil war – a war that unleashes thousands of daemonic incursions across the universe.
- Nurgle played a key role in the fall of Horus to Chaos for it was one of his poisons that laid the Primarch low on the moon of Davin, setting the roots for his corruption.
- The Primarch Mortarion and his Death Guard Legion pledge their souls to Nurgle alone amongst the Ruinous Powers after the ships become becalmed in the Warp – a host of virulent plagues laying low even their highly-resistant constitutions.
- The Plague of Typhus. Late M41
- In the last years of the 41st Millenium, vast numbers of plague-ridden space hulks are sighted throughout the Belisar and Agripinaa Systems near the Eye of Terror. Outbreaks of Plague Zombies erupt across the worlds of these sectors, but worse still, the Plague Fleets of Lord Typhus of the Death Guard legion follow in their wake.
- The Thirteenth Black Crusade and the Opening of the Great Rift. 999.M41
- Following the success of the 13th Black Crusade by Abbadon the Despoiler and the destruction of Cadia, a massive Warp Storm rips across the galaxy, cutting off and isolating thousands of worlds. The Plague Legions of Nurgle march out to glut themselves of the death and despair that is rampant across the Imperium.
- The Plague Wars. 012.M42
- Mortarion, Daemon Primarch, and his Death Guard legion assault the Imperial system of Ultramar alongside Nurgle’s daemon legions. Only a counter attack by the recently returned Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines and their successors, prevents his victory.