The Astra Militarum is the main fighting force of the Imperium of Man. Made up of billions of men and women, and supported by countless light and heavy vehicles, artillery, and heavy weapons, the Astra Militarum overwhelm enemy forces by sheer weight of fire and body count.
If the Adeptes Astartes are the scalpel, then the Astra Militarum are the hammer.
- Grinding Advance: The Astra Militarum uses the size of their forces to smash through their opposition, while also enabling them to be able to take huge losses.
- ‘Pound them to Dust!’: Regiments of guardsmen are traditionally supported by an array of vehicular support, iconically heavy weapon platforms, tanks and mechanized cavalry, which they use to rain fire down upon their foes.
- ‘Forwards, for the Emperor!’: Guardsmen are often supported and disciplined by Commissars, political officers who use any means necessary to maintain order and morale.
- The Imperial Army – 798.M30 – 005.M31
- As Space Marine forces drew thin across the ever expanding Imperium during the Great Crusade, the Emperor ordered the creation of the Imperial Army made up from ordinary humans.
- Age of Rebirth – M31
- After the Horus Heresy, the Imperial Army is reformed and separates into the Astra Militarum and the Imperial Navy.
- The Waning – M38-M41
- The armies of the Imperium are spread dangerously thin after multiple xenos incursions and chaos invasions and countless worlds are lost.
- The Time of Ending – M41
- As the boundries of the Imperium continues to fall, Imperial tithes are increased and the ranks of the Astra Militarum swell for the highest levels in hundreds of years.
- The 13th Black Crusade – 995.999.M41
- Abaddon’s forces fall upon the Fortress World of Cadia where millions of guardsmen die making their last stand. The Astra Militarum, with an assortment of Imperial allies, manage to hold back the endless chaos hordes until Abaddon sends his Blackstone Fortress crashing into Cadia, annihilating the planet.