The Adepta Sororitas are an all-female division of the Ecclesiarchy – the official Church of the Imperial Cult. While there are many different arms of the Adepta Sororitas, the most famous are the Chambers Militant, more commonly known as the Sisters of Battle.
The Sisters of Battle form the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy. They are tasked with merciless rooting out corruption and heresy within the Imperium, as well as protecting pilgrim routes, important shrines and forming the vanguard in Wars of Faith. Each Battle Sister is an elite warrior armed not only with power armour and bolter, but also an unflinching and absolute devotion to the God-Emperor of Mankind.
- Acts of Faith: For the Sisters of Battle, their faith is as much a weapon as the bolter and chainsword. Unyielding and true zealots, the strength of their belief allows them to make the Emperor’s Will manifest in the form of miracles.
- The Orders Militant: The forces of the Sisters of Battle are split between the six major Orders across the galaxy. These are The Orders of Our Martyred Lady, The Sacred Rose, The Ebon Chalice, The Argent Shroud, The Valorous Heart and The Bloody Rose. Within these major orders are many more minor orders that are, in theory at least, answerable to the leaders of their parent order.
- Witch Hunters: The Sisters of Battle maintain close ties with the Ordo Hereticus, each organisation dedicated to the rooting out and destruction of heresy. As such, they are often the go-to choice when Inquisitors of this Ordo need soldiers.
- Their Founding. M36
- Originally founded during the period of civil war known as the Age of Apostasy, they form the elite soldiers of the corrupt and insane High Lord of Terra Goge Vandire.
- During a protracted assault by several Space Marine chapters and the forces of the Adeptus Mechanicus on The Ecclesiarchal palace on Terra, the founding saints are taken by the leader of the Adeptus Custodes into the presence of the Emperor.
- Following their meeting with the Emperor, the founding saints burn with righteous fury and slay Goge Vandire, ending the Age of Apostasy.
- The Four Original Orders. 378.M36
- Head of the Imperial Cult and Ecclesiarch Alexis XXII divides the forces of the Sisters of Battle into four Orders: the Ebon Chalice, the Valorous Heart, the Argent Shroud and the Fiery Heart (who would become the Order of our Martyred Lady several decades later).
- The Creation of Two More Orders. 878.M38
- Ecclesiarch Deacis VI founds two more Orders: the Sacred Rose and the Bloody Rose.
- The Third War of Armageddon. 998.M4
- The Order of the Argent Should and The Order of Our Martyred Lady see heavy fighting during the Third War of Armagdeddon against the infamous Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka. The Order of Our Martyred Lady lose over half of their total strength in this campaign and their black robes are changed to red in memory of these losses.
- The Thirteenth Black Crusade. 999.M41
- Forces from the Order of Our Martyred Lady endure heavy fighting during the defence of Cadia. As the situation becomes more desperate, Saint Celestine arrives with more reinforcements and personally faces down Abaddon the Despoiler, Chosen of Chaos. Despite their intervention, Cadia soon falls as a Blackstone Fortress is crashed into the planet.
- The Awakening of Roboute Guilliman and the Terran Crusade. 999.M41
- Saint Celestine and a handful of survivors from the 13th Black Crusade ally with a force of Eldar to make their way to Macragge, where they are able to resurrect the Primarch Guilliman. Upon seeing the state of the Imperium, he leads a crusade – which Celestine and many Sisters of Battle from multiple Orders are a part – to Terra.